SEO Copywriting acts as a spotlight for your product or service, ensuring the right audience finds it online, making it essential for marketers to reach those who need what they’re selling.
If you’re a Marketing student in your third or fourth year of a BSBA program, this guide gives you special access to mastering SEO copywriting in seven easy steps.
Step 1: Understanding the Basics of SEO Copywriting
Before you learn about SEO Copywriting, it’s essential to understand how search engines work.
Search engines are like smart online librarians. When you search, the engine checks its index, looking at keywords and website trust.
Every search engine has one goal: connecting your search with the best web pages, making it easy.
Did you know?Source: https://www.similarweb.com/engines/philippines/
Google’s search market share in the Philippines was 94.4% in June 2023 & it is the most popular and most used search engine in the Philippines, according to SimilarWeb data.
What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It’s a set of practices and techniques to optimize a website or online content to appear higher in search engine results.
The goal is to increase visibility and attract more relevant visitors to the website.
Why SEO matters?
SEO is crucial because it helps more people find your product or service online.
When you make your content good for search engines, it increases, bringing more visitors to your site. This makes it easier to connect with the people you want to reach.
Learning the basics is crucial for SEO copywriting.
In my early days, I wrote what I thought was a fantastic blog post, but it went unnoticed.
That’s when I realized the importance of SEO Copywriting. It’s like having a brilliant idea but keeping it to yourself.
Learning SEO Copywriting is like sharing that idea with the world and making sure it gets the attention it deserves, turning hidden gems into front-page features.
Step 2: Finding the Right Keywords
Keywords are like secret agents for SEO. They are the words that your audience types into search engines to find your content.
Think of them as keys for boosting your website traffic.
Based on the Ahrefs study, 96.55% of pages get zero Google traffic. Aspiring SEO copywriters must master keyword research for online visibility and success.
So, your mission is to find keywords that match what your audience is searching for.
It’s like speaking their language.
Here are the 5 key steps to do keyword research to get ahead in SEO Copywriting:
- Define goals: Clearly outline your objectives.
- Identify seed keywords: Start with broad terms.
- Use keyword tools: Utilize tools like Google Keyword Planner or Ahrefs Keyword Generator.
- Analyze competition: Assess competitors’ keywords.
- Refine and prioritize: Select relevant and high-impact keywords.
Bard is better with the latest update. Give Bard a try for keyword research—it’s a decent starting point, even if the data isn’t perfect.
Watch RankMath SEO video on how to do keyword research for free in 2023 and beyond.
Step 3: Crafting Compelling Headlines
Writing headlines is like making a movie trailer—it should be irresistible. Your headline is the inviting hello that encourages readers to click and explore, setting the first impression.
Let me share a little personal tidbit.
Starting SEO Copywriting, my headlines were dull, like a rainy day.
Less than 0.1% click from Google search results per thousand impressions.
This hit me—headlines are the VIP pass to your content.
Make them count.
After a year of trial and error, We managed to grow them well. From less than 1% to more than 5%.
Here’s the latest 28-day Google Search data as of December 18, 2023, for a website the team is working on.
Imagine you’re in a bookstore (or on a website). What makes you pick up a book?
The title, right?
Your headline is that title. It should be magnetic, making your audience think, “I need to know more.”
There are different ways to write a compelling headline in SEO Copywriting but here are a few practical tips that work for me and my team:
- Keyword Precision: Include relevant keywords directly into your headlines for optimal search visibility.
- Simplicity Wins: Keep it short, clear, and jargon-free. Your audience should grasp the message instantly.
- Stir Emotions: Trigger curiosity, excitement, or urgency to trigger an immediate response.
- Stand Out: Highlight your unique angle or exclusive value proposition. What makes your content a must-click?
- Test and Refine: A/B tests different headlines to pinpoint what resonates best with your audience. Continuously optimize for maximum impact.
You can Ahrefs Writing Tools to write headlines quickly using different tones.
Creating headlines is an art. Paint a clear picture, make it irresistible, and see your audience line up for more.
Step 4: Writing High-Quality Content
Let’s explore SEO copywriting—crafting content that’s not just good but outstanding.
Picture your content as the star of a concert; it must rock the stage, keep the audience engaged, and leave them wanting more.
When I started, I used to put too much focus on keywords, making my content sound robotic and soulless.
Lesson learned: Keywords are crucial but only part of the concert. Your content needs to resonate with your audience.
Think of it this way: You’re not just selling sneakers but telling a story. Share your expertise, sprinkle in a bit of personality, and make it a conversation. Imagine you’re talking to a friend—informative, engaging, and maybe a touch of humor.
Oh, and remember to break up the text. Short paragraphs, bullet points, and subheadings are like the rhythm section—they keep things flowing.
Trust me; your audience will thank you for it.
Here are our 10 practical SEO Copywriting tips for writing high-quality content:
- Thorough Research: Spend time on thorough research for accurate and current info. Reliable sources boost your content’s credibility.
- Clear Structure: Structure your content logically for readers. Employ headings, subheadings, and bullet points to break down information for easy understanding.
- Relevance and Depth: Make sure each paragraph directly relates to the main topic. Dive deep into the subject, offering valuable insights your audience finds relevant.
- Engaging Introduction: Capture the reader’s attention from the start with a compelling introduction. Clearly state the purpose of your article and why it matters to the reader.
- Transition Between Ideas: Maintain smooth transitions between paragraphs and ideas. This helps the reader follow the flow of your content without feeling disjointed.
- Conversational Tone: Adopt a conversational tone to make your content approachable. Imagine you’re having a conversation with your reader, conveying information in a friendly and understandable manner.
- Use of Visuals: Enhance your content with visuals like images, graphs, or charts. Visual elements break up the text and provide a visual representation of complex information.
- In-Depth Analysis: If applicable, provide in-depth analysis or case studies to support your points. This showcases expertise and adds a layer of depth to your content.
- Addressing Counterarguments: Anticipate and address potential counterarguments. This not only strengthens your position but also demonstrates a thoughtful and comprehensive approach to the topic.
- CTA (Call to Action): Conclude your article with a clear call to action. Guide the reader on the next steps, whether it’s exploring related content, subscribing, or engaging in a discussion.
Watch Ahrefs’ video on using blog post templates for improved SEO content.
Step 5: Optimizing Meta Descriptions
Get ready—it’s time to transform your SEO Copywriting skills with killer meta descriptions.
Think of meta descriptions as the intriguing blurb on a DVD cover. It’s your chance to give readers a sneak peek into the awesomeness that awaits.
Starting out, I neglected meta descriptions. Big mistake. It’s like inviting people to the most incredible party but forgetting to mention the free snacks. Learning to optimize meta descriptions was my “aha” moment.
Picture this: You’ve nailed the headline, and your audience is intrigued. Now, your meta description is the bow on the gift—it wraps everything up and makes it irresistible.
Check out Gabka Koscova’s advice on Semrush blogs for the best tips on writing (and not writing) meta descriptions. Tip #5 of the “Avoid boring meta descriptions” topic.
Keep it concise, use action words, and, most importantly, tell them why they should click.
Step 6: Adding Multimedia Elements
The text is fantastic, but the visuals are the fireworks that light up the sky.
Imagine you’re not just telling your audience about those trendy sneakers; you’re showing them, making it an experience.
Consider this: A well-placed image, an engaging video, or a snazzy infographic can turn a good article into a memorable one.
Check out the Apple website for more inspiration about incorporating multimedia elements perfectly.
It’s not about overwhelming your audience but enhancing their experience.
So, grab your camera or explore stock photo sites. Be intentional with your visuals. Each should tell a part of your story, making your content a visual feast.
Ready to make your content pop?
Here are three tips to spice up your SEO copywriting with multimedia:
- Optimize Images: Use keyword-rich file names and alt text for images.
- Video Optimization: Create engaging videos with keyword-optimized titles, descriptions, and tags.
- Infographics for Information: Design keyword-rich infographics to enhance content and encourage sharing.
Step 7 Monitoring and Analyzing Performance
Early in my career, I hit publish and assumed my job was done.
It’s like throwing a party and not checking if the guests are having a good time. Learning to monitor performance was my lightbulb moment.
Analytics tools help you see which keywords shine, which content steals the spotlight, and where you can tweak for an encore performance.
Track keyword rankings, dive into page analytics, and pay attention to what your audience loves.
Are they staying for the whole show or leaving after the first act?
Remember, SEO Copywriting is a living, breathing entity. Trends change, algorithms evolve, and your audience’s preferences shift.
Be nimble, be curious, and keep refining your strategy based on what the data tells you.
Use this skill as your secret weapon in marketing. Write awesome content, use keywords, and keep track of how you’re doing.
Stay curious, learn more from the recommended stuff, and also check out our SEO Copywriting resources.
You’re ready to shine in SEO—go own it!