The WBG YPP is a great place to start if you want to work at the World Bank Group. Young Professionals with varied academic and professional backgrounds relevant to the World Bank, IFC, and MIGA are recruited from all over the world. We’re looking for people with a passion for international development, a graduate degree, relevant professional experience, and the ability to rise into influential leadership roles across our organizations.
The WBG YPP provides a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Young Professionals to serve on the frontlines of international development. Candidates should be willing to relocate to field-based assignments, particularly those supporting client countries dealing with Fragility, Conflict, and Violence (FCV) and other challenging environments.
World Bank Group Young Professionals Program
Criteria of Eligibility
- Applicants for the WBG YPP must meet the following requirements:
- You must have been born on or after October 1, 1990.
- A master’s or doctoral degree is required. Become an expert in a field related to the YPP Business Areas. Demonstrate relevant professional experience or ongoing doctorate study*
- Fluency in English is required.
- The Bank’s Group recruitment policy aims to hire the best people from all over the world, with a preference for nationals of WBG member nations or countries where the Bank operates.
- *For World Bank placement, a bachelor’s degree is required.
- By September 2022, you must have earned a relevant master’s degree or a PhD by September 2023. Study areas should be linked to a World Bank Business Area.
- Complete a suitable graduate degree by September 2023 for IFC and MIGA placement. A Master’s in Business Administration (or equivalent), Economics, Finance, International Relations Science, and Engineering are examples of fields of study that are associated to an IFC or MIGA Business Area.
- **Requirements for professional experience:
- Demonstrate 3+ years of relevant experience, or the equivalent in further doctoral studies, for World Bank placement.
- Show 4+ years of relevant experience in finance, political risk insurance and credit enhancement, project/program development, economic development, and/or consultancy for IFC and MIGA placement. Certifications like the CFA are advantageous.
- ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATIONS In order to be competitive, applicants must also:
- Show your dedication and enthusiasm for international development.
- Have excellent academic credentials
- Demonstrate outstanding client involvement, communication, and team leadership abilities.
- Demonstrate your understanding of the relevant industry.
- The following qualities are advantageous:
- Working experience in developing or emerging markets
- Complete command of one of the official WBG languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Portuguese, Russian, or Spanish.
- As part of a 5-year term contract, YPs are granted a good pay and benefits package. Health, life, and accident insurance, a pension plan, and possibly relocation and mobility benefits are all available, according to WBG criteria.
Process of the Application
- Before you apply, make sure you satisfy all of the eligibility conditions and have gone through the application checklist below to see what you’ll need. On the last day of the application period, applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. UTC (Coordinated Universal Time). Candidates must select the institution that best matches their skill set on the application (the World Bank, IFC or MIGA). Duplicate applications will not be considered and will not improve your chances of being chosen.
- Documents Required:
- Academic Qualifications*
- 1 brief essay
- A Synopsis of the Thesis or Dissertation (World Bank candidates, only if applicable)
- 3 Recommendations from Professionals or Academics*
- *Transcript, diploma, degree completion letter, proof of enrollment with expected graduation date *
- *During the eligibility screening step, email recommendations will be requested.
- July 15, 2022
Source: The World Bank