KUALA LUMPUR, April 14 ― A woman in Taiwan who accidentally swallowed an 18-centimetre toothbrush only sought medical assistance after she finished work for the day.
The 44-year-old unidentified woman from Pingtung, Southern Taiwan had accidentally ingested the toothbrush while using it at the wrong angle, CTS Taiwan reported.
The woman reportedly said she was very tired after working the previous day and was rushing to go to work when the unfortunate incident occurred.
After swallowing the toothbrush, the woman said she did feel uncomfortable but still went to work and only went to the hospital after clocking out later in the day.
According to the doctor who attended to the woman, the toothbrush did not show up on the X-ray.
Dr Cai Yuanrong said an endoscopy showed the toothbrush was lodged in her oesophagus and that the tissue around it was inflamed.
The toothbrush was later removed with an endoscopic retrieval device.
Dr Cai said if the toothbrush had gotten lodged in her intestines, it would have caused an obstruction that would possibly lead to her intestines rupturing.
He also said this was the first time he encountered a patient who accidentally swallowed a toothbrush.
Taiwan woman swallows 18cm toothbrush, only seeks help seven hours after incident (VIDEO)| Yahoo News