If presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. wins the May 2022 national elections, the controversial National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) will receive additional funding.
This was confirmed by the former senator, who expressed his entire support for the anti-communist insurgent task force, praising its accomplishments despite budget limitations.
"Maganda ang NTF-ELCAC. Even if nabawasan ang kanilang budget, hindi nagbago. Nakakatulong talaga. I think we should continue that," Marcos said in a statement on Monday.
Marcos promised to increase funding for the task force’s flagship program, the Barangay Development Program (BDP), which aims to combat insurgency by providing durable solutions and basic amenities to affected communities.
"We have to invest in success. Kung successful ‘yung programa eh doon tayo maglagay ng pondo. Ipagpatuloy natin ‘yung kanilang ginagawa," Marcos said.
Meanwhile, Marcos condemned the “obsolete ideology propagated by local terrorist groups to attract naive and foolish followers,” claiming that the communist group’s doctrine has lost favor and is useless.
"If they continue in their wish to overthrow the government by violent means, how can I be on their side? Besides, the ideology that they are espousing no longer has much support," Marcos said.
The NTF-ELCAC received more than P16 billion in the P5.024 trillion budget for fiscal year 2022. The amount was at least P6 billion higher than the P10.8 billion allocated in the Senate version of the budget plan for 2022.
During last year’s Senate plenary debates on the planned 2022 budget, it was discovered that the NTF-ELCAC had finished only 26 of the 2,318 projects.
Because of the purported red-tagging practices of certain of the task force’s officials, several Lawmakers have urged for its defunding or elimination.
Bongbong vows add'l funds for NTF-ELCAC if he wins in Eleksyon 2022|GMA